Thursday 5 February 2015

What a busy month.

So you're wondering, if I've been so busy, why so few posts in January? The fact of the matter is that it's lots of little things, not really worthy of a blogpost individually. I've waited to put them all in one. Also I've had a bit of a writers block, not that I consider myself a writer as such.


First of all, I've always wanted to grow Pimientos de PadrĂ³n. They originate from north west Spain in the region of Galicia. They are a chilli pepper, also known as Russia roulette peppers because you will get one every now and then that is a bit hot. My mum has sent me, from Spain, a few packets of seed, which I in turn have sent to a few friends of mine that I met in Suffolk in November last year, Suffickboi, Michelle Stacey and Sally Harvey. Sally has a head start on all of us. Not only has she sown them before anyone else, she also has a heated greenhouse. Mine are one week behind on my windowsill. Michelle is one week behind me and also on a windowsill. Soffikboi is studying for exams and is yet to start, but I must say, it's not a competion, although one member seems to think so. I'll keep you posted on our progress. 



Next, I am now a proud owner of a trug. I've seen them on twitter and on Instagram and thought that it would be nice for my daughter to use. I think I may using it more than she will though. They are made by Liam Stanborough of Loldean Timber Products. They are sturdy and very well made. They have to be with the size of the parsnips this year. He's not asked me to talk about them, but I'm so pleased with it, I thought it was worth a mention. They are reasonably priced and I didn't have to wait long for it to arrive. On his eBay site you'll find, as well as trugs, planters in all shapes and sizes. The lad's worth a go, so check him out.


 I've been meaning to clear my things from the end of the garden and take them to the allotment and I chose the best day to do it. Yes it was cold, but in the space of three hours, I had the sun on my back, rain on my face and driving the car in a snow blizzard. I've got most of it done, but there comes a point when your love for the allotment isn't enough. It just got too cold.



If it wasn't for the cold, working on the plot could be even more enjoyable. At the moment I'm working on six smaller beds and a flower bed for my youngest daughter to grow what ever she would like. The only trouble is, the areas I'm clearing are perfect spots for hibernating animals. Can you imagine my surprise, no, shock, when pulling my fork up and found a toad impailed. As quickly as I could, I removed it and watched the poor little creature, wondering if I should put it out of it's misery. Then it started to move, slowly it walked off and headed for the shelter of the brambles. The photo below shows the toads injury, but you do have to zoom in a bit on his right shoulder. I hope it survives, I need all the slug busting help I can get.


The last business of the day is that the planting scheme for Garden Connect 2015 has been announced. Matt Hiemstra  is the founder of the project. If you've not heard of it, click on the link to find out more and if you're still interested, please sign up . There are a few things I've never heard of, a few I've never grown and one which I know I won't eat. So this is the plan. I have had a look through my seed box and there are only three I don't have. For the YOUR CHOICE space, I'm thinking of planting spring onions. Not that I've given it much thought other than that's what I would like to grow somewhere on the plot, so why not there.


Well that's it for this blogpost. If you've read to the bitter end, you've done better than me. It has been three days in the making and I've been easily distracted. Till next time and thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment